In accidents, we really discover the magic of photography

- - Blog News

I honestly believe photography is 75 percent chance, and 25 percent skill

–Stanley Greene

via PDN Pulse » Look3 Report.

There Are 16 Comments On This Article.

  1. Clearly you are full of shit!
    And do not have a f uk king clue about what you are talking about.

  2. I think this is more true that we realize. All the skill and training in the world doesn’t matter if you’re not present at that elusive moment that can end up making a fantastic photograph. A less “talented” photographer who works hard and inserts him/herself into more situations that may lead to a great image will probably end up with better (and more) images that a fantastically talented photographer who sits at home. That’s just a fact. Some of my favorite images in my portfolio came from a time when I had a cheap camera, one lens, and no experience. I was just so excited to be shooting that I shot everything, every musician I knew, all the time. And some of those are still the strongest ones in my book.

  3. I respect Mr. Greene, but while I think he fails to give luck it’s full due, there is a reason the saying “Chance favors the prepared mind” is a cliche.

      • Cliché? Really, Ellis? :) I think @Reid nails good points.
        Do you leave home to do some street shooting and put the cameras (without cards) into Pelican cases, and lock them in the trunk? Or, do you have the camera ready with card, the lens on it that you want, and when you get out of the car the camera you’re going to shoot with is already slung on your shoulder? One camera in hand is worth six in the trunk, is what I learned from 25 years in newspapers. Because when you least expect it – expect it. There’s a reason cops have their guns drawn when they go in to clear a building … action beats reaction 90% of the time. In either case you still need to be a good shooter when the “target” appears, of course… that’s the 25% (or 50% or … ). IMHO!

  4. Although he doesn’t say it specifically (or maybe even realize it), most of the “luck” he’s talking about pertains to getting recognized as a great photographer, not taking great photographs. Big difference.

    • Interesting point. Undoubtedly there are many photographers out there with amazing bodies of work, who are complete unknowns. Maybe they are insecure, poor self-promoters, shy, or just don’t care about recognition. There certainly is no shortage of so-so photographers blowing their own horns loudly and getting recognition maybe others deserve more. It’s a cruel world!

      • stanchung

        So so photographers blowing their horn indeed. See them a lot on FB with oversaturated HDR’s. hahaha

        I think there two kinds of photographers- the kind who goes out looking for photos would need higher % of luck. The kind that sets up his own photos would need 75% skill and 25% luck-in many cases it’s just hoping that the mother nature is adorn with beautiful blue skies.

  5. scott Rex Ely

    I think if a photograph is meaningful for enough viewers the photographer can certainly project unique, unusual and insightful characteristics to the process. Context is king and the better I sell you on my uncanny ability to channel serendipity the more front loaded my images have been set up for you to view with understanding. My understanding. Quite cyclical isn’t it?
    Sometimes I don’t want to know more.

  6. Mr. Greene does not define “photography”. I know a few incredible studio portrait photographers. “Luck” has nothing to do with the body of their work. It’s pure talent, and years of experience to perfect their craft.

    Perhaps he is speaking of other types of photography? Just a thought.

  7. Given that everyone has access to a mobile camera, alot of the professional skills that taught in uni, are being lost. due to the growth of Dgital its a dying art.